20,000 people evacuated from multiple venues in Moscow on bomb threats

Xinhua Published: 2017-09-13 23:24:35
Comment
Share
Share this with Close
Messenger Messenger Pinterest LinkedIn

People are evacuated from more than 30 venues in Moscow after several bomb threats delivered by telephone on September 13, 2017. [Photo: Agencies]

People are evacuated from more than 30 venues in Moscow after several bomb threats delivered by telephone on September 13, 2017. [Photo: Agencies]

Over 20,000 people were evacuated from more than 30 facilities in Moscow on Wednesday, following "almost simultaneous" anonymous phone calls with bomb threats, Russian news agencies reported. 

Police and sappers checked over 30 facilities in Moscow, including three railway stations, major shopping malls and hotels in various parts of the city, Tass news agency reported, quoting a source in the emergency services of the Russian capital.

Interfax news agency reported that law enforcement bodies were checking a phone call stating that a bomb was planted in Moscow's central Red Square.

The phone calls are still coming in, according to the Tass source.

Each of the phone calls is being checked, but no official information referring to the calls has been published so far.

People are evacuated from more than 30 venues in Moscow after several bomb threats delivered by telephone on September 13, 2017. [Photo: Agencies]

People are evacuated from more than 30 venues in Moscow after several bomb threats delivered by telephone on September 13, 2017. [Photo: Agencies]

According to Russian news agency RIA Novosti, such bomb threat calls were recorded in 22 cities in Russia in the last three days, during which more than 45,000 people had been evacuated from 205 objects with a massive stay.

All such calls proved to be hoaxes, and the sources said that most of the calls could be coming from neighboring Ukraine, which accuses Russia of involvement in hostilities in the south of the country, the agencies said. 

The law enforcement agencies continued active search for the callers, RIA Novosti said.

Related stories

Share this story on

Most Popular

Photo

Highlights of WTA Wuhan Open singles 2nd round
Yellow Mountain bathed in a sea of clouds
Man rents shipping container, turns it into elegant apartment
Chinese vice premier watches 'hoops' in NYC
Li Na tastes local delicacy during WTA Wuhan Open
Giant tuna captured in South China Sea

News

A technology-oriented day trip in Hefei
Technology, art, culture collide in Hefei
China's self-built icebreaker "Xuelong 2" to complete in 2019
New air route linking Wuhan, Manila opens
UK's first bilingual Mandarin nursery school expands
Kissinger calls for cooperative U.S.-China relationship